Jeffrey Sklaroff is the Managing Partner of Mukasey Frenchman & Sklaroff. Jeff has a varied litigation practice focusing on criminal matters including the representation of corporations and executives at every stage of the case – from grand jury investigation, through trial, and on appeal. Jeff is also an experienced civil trial lawyer and he has conducted internal investigations for clients both domestically and overseas. Jeff has a distinguished history of selection by judges to serve as a receiver in SEC and other actions and as counsel to the Grand Jury Project, a committee of judges, professors and private practitioners charged with rendering recommendations to improve the grand jury system in New York.
He is also an adjunct member of the New York State Justice Task Force which examines the causes of wrongful convictions and makes recommendations for changes to the criminal justice system in New York state, and a member of the Federal Criminal Practice Committee of the Federal Bar Council. Jeff served as counsel to a distinguished group of former judges and prosecutors acting as amici curiae in a widely-reported case attacking the constitutionality of mandatory minimum sentences.
Before becoming Managing Partner of the firm, Mr. Sklaroff was a partner in a major international law firm and an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York.
- J.D., Boston College Law School
- B.S., Cornell University, 1977
- United States Bankruptcy Judge Harold Lavien, United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts, 1980-1981
- New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Cultural and Business Practices Complicate Investigations in Developing Countries, New York Law Journal, November 9, 2015
Honors, Professional and Community Involvement
- The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White Collar 2013-2018
- Super Lawyers, New York Metro Super Lawyers, New York, 2007-2012, 2015-2018
- Recipient, United States Attorney General DIrector’s Award for Superior Performance Washington, D.C. 1991
- Counsel to distinguished group of former federal judges, United States Attorneys and high-ranking Justice Department officials acting as amici curiae in United States v. Angelos, 433 F.3d 738 (10th Cir.), cert. denied, 2006 WL 1880941 (Dec. 4, 2006) attacking constitutionality of federal mandatory sentences).
- Member, Federal Criminal Practice Committee, Federal Bar Council, 2013-present
- Appointed by Chief Judge Judith Kaye, New York Court of Appeals, as Counsel to the Grand Jury Project, charged with making recommendations for improving state grand jury system
- Special Counsel to the Chair, New York State Justice Task Force, 2013-present
- Volunteer Lawyer, Clemency Project, 2014
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Committee on Criminal Justice, White Collar Crime Sentencing Sub-committee, 2008-2010
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 1996-present
- Member, Criminal Advocacy Committee, 1996-1999
- Rated, AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5*
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished SM and Martindale-Hubbell NotableSM are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.