Torrey K. Young represents clients in all aspects of criminal defense and regulatory enforcement with noteworthy experience in health care and life sciences. A leader in her field, Torrey has a wealth of experience defending clients in civil and criminal government enforcement actions and cases arising out of the False Claims Act. In a recent criminal trial, Torrey cross-examined an executive from the National Institute of Health and several university compliance officals. Torrey conducts internal investigations, provides fraud and abuse analyses, and advises her clients on Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement issues. She also implements compliance programs and assesses their effectiveness, as well as counsels clients on clinical research, research misconduct, and grant fraud. Torrey’s versatility is reflected in her representation of many different types of entities, including health systems, universities, laboratories, home health agencies, hospices, telehealth companies, pharmacy benefit managers, pharmaceutical companies, and DMEPOS companies.
In 2019, Torrey participated as one of the ten representatives from Boston in Harvard Business School’s Young American Leaders Program. In 2017, she was awarded the Member of the Year award from Tomorrow’s Women Today, a Boston women’s leadership council. Torrey has also appeared in publications such as Science, Compliance Today, JD Supra, Federal News Radio, and Bloomberg Law.
Prior to joining Mukasey Frenchman, Torrey was Senior Counsel in the health care and government investigations practice groups at a prestigious international firm.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2011
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health 2011
- B.S., Emory University, High Honors
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- New York State, Appellate Division, First Department
- That ‘Hot’ Research Project May Land Your Lab In Hot Water,” HCCA Compliance Today (November 3, 2018)
- “Viscosupplement Enforcement – Provider Pain Points,” Bloomberg Law (July 27, 2018)
- “Anatomy of a Self-Disclosure: From Concern, to Disclosure, to Closure, and Everything In Between,” Association for Corporate Counsel Webcast (May 17, 2017)
- “What is on the OIG Radar for its 2016 Work Plan,” Association for Corporate Counsel Webcast (March 1, 2016)
- “OIG 2015 Work Plan, Part 1: Do fewer projects mean a sharper focus?” HCCA Compliance Today (January 2015) (contributing author)
- “Medicaid Enforcement,” Law360 (March 20, 2014)
- “Changing Practice Environment: Considerations for Clinical Integration and Joining ACO,” presentation to Massachusetts Medical Society (September 23, 2013)
- “Clinical Research Practice Guide, 2nd Edition,” American Health Lawyers Association (2013) (chapter co-editor)
- “Starting Out in Practice,” presentation to Massachusetts General Hospital Anesthesia Fellows (November 13, 2012)
- “Legal Issues Concerning Identifiable Health Data Sharing Between State/Local Public Health Authorities and Tribal Epidemiology Centers in Select U.S. Jurisdictions,” Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (January 23, 2012) (co-author)
- “The Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol: The Newest Component to the Stark Equation,” The Advisory Board Company (December 2, 2011) (co-author)
- “Massachusetts Health and Hospital Law Manual,” MCLE (2011) (chapter co-author)
- “Emergency Legal Preparedness for Hospitals and Health Care Personnel,” Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness (June 2009) (co-author)
Community Involvement And Professional Memberships
- Board Member, Health Leads, a nonprofit organization devoted to breaking down systemic barriers to health.
- American Bar Association, Vice Chair to the Health Law Section’s Distance Learning Committee.
- Member, Tomorrow’s Women Today, a community of Boston’s promising female leaders.
- Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association’s Leadership Institute, Class of 2016.